Saturday, May 15, 2010

On to Cockscomb Basin




Everyone loved the ATM cave yesterday. It is a world-class cave that is usually the highlight of many students' experience in Belize (second to the coral reef, of course!). Photos and student posts to come - but we're keeping them really busy so forgive the delay.

The class headed out to Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Santuary this morning - the world's first Jaguar sanctuary. This is the second study site for the 3 groups conducting field research. They are comparing findings between La Milpa (dry forest) and Cockscomb (wetter forest) for their student projects. For more information, check out the Belize Audubon Society's website at http://www.belizeaudubon.org/protected_areas/cockscomb-basin-wildlife-sanctuary.html.

Here are some student blog contributions:

KATIE AND KELSI: This is Katey Wahlen and Kelsi Skee checking in…….
We arrived in Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary yesterday; we were momentarily shocked by the amount of humidity in the air. It’s so intense you don’t know if the droplets rolling down your back are from sweat or moisture from the air. It is breathtakingly beautiful here. Everywhere you look there are lush green palms, ferns, and massive trees; flowers in every color of the rainbow dot the landscape. The stark contrast between the dry forest of La Milpa and wet forest we currently are exploring gives us a good look at the different ecosystems within this beautiful country. There are cascading waterfalls nearby and we are all excited to go hike to them tomorrow.

The few of us that had any remaining energy went on a night hike. No Jaguars yet but we are still looking. According to our guide one jaguar requires a 5mile radius to find enough food. They say that we won’t be able to see them but they probably are following us through the bush……
We were all up at 4:30am this morning running our research projects….we’re almost all done with our data collection which is exciting. After a very sweaty morning of data collection we decided to have some “fun time” and float down the nearby river on inner tubes. As we finally got some R&R on the rio we saw about a hundred sulfur butterflies flitting around on the breeze coming to say hi to us.

KELSI: We are having so much fun!! Getting lots and lots of bug bites. Everyone is getting along very well. I (Kelsi) am about to go play some soccer! I am very excited to go to the cayes. The mayan culture saturates every inch of soil and is found in every person. This is more of a maƱana land than New Mexico; I am glad to be away from rushed lifestyle of the states. I will be sad to leave my new friends and the beautiful forest but…. I miss my animals and of course mi familia too. The food is wonderful, Lucy, our guide Kimo’s wife, has been cooking for us and giving us a good overview of the local cuisine.

CASSANDRA—Hi everyone, Belize is beautiful despite all the mysterious bug bites, sweat and sore feet. I’ve seen an array of amazing birds and animals thankfully no snakes (knock on wood). We are all having an awesome time swimming in rivers and tubing!! I had the unique opportunity to spend the day with a Belizean family this past week. They are very kind and I will be sad to leave them. I got to visit a Mennonite Christian School and interact with the first and second grade students. I’m having an awesome time and I can’t wait to get home and tell you all about it. John take care and don’t be a dumbo, give the fufs a squeeze for me . Mom, Hotda &Sherdine don’t worry too much I will be back soon.

Shout outs!!

JONI LOYD-- Hey guys, glad to see your reading this! The trip has been fantastic, my knee is hurting a bit, so I’m icing twice a day! We went tubing down the river today; it was so beautiful and amazing. I’ve been listening to “Joni’s chill mix vol 1” quite a bit here in the forest and feel totally relaxed. I miss and love you guys! The trip has been wonderful and I’m almost ready to go back to the states. Wish you guys could see these stars! Still no sunburn! However, I have 36 bug bites and next stop is the keys. There was debate on what they were from, mosquitoes, chiggers, bot flies, but the verdict seems to be “no see flies”, they have made a lovely swirl pattern on my right knee. Its.. strange.

ESTRELLA: Hello everyone! I am having such a great time. I am officially a jungle girl and tropical field ecologist now! The weather here at cockscomb is extremely humid, my hair and clothes stay wet 24/7. I still have not seen any snakes (bummer) but I have seen tons of amazing birds and howler monkeys. I am home sick! I miss you Rayne, I can’t wait to see you and give you a big hug and kiss. I am still waiting for my botfly, I actually want to get one hahahaha. The cave was a little scary for me cause I still can’t swim so well. Today we went tubing down the river/creek here at cockscomb, we are all sunburned. I hope I get to see some snakes while still here in BELIZE. We still have the keys left to go to, then we get to come home. Mom, dad, cristal….miss you guys…see you soon. Rayne I miss you so much ( mommie will be home soon, to show you all the pictures). I also have tons of surprises for all you guys. Well dinner time is approaching…..see you guys soon.

EMIL: NMSU kids are hardworking kids – very into their work. I think it’s cool that I get a chance to work with these guys since they work with ornithology, I also work in these fields so it gives me a chance to share my knowledge of birds and at the same time I can get knowledge from their field academic part – so it’s a 2-way learning experience. I would encourage this kind of field study for any student – it comes once in a lifetime.

COREY: Winter and Blair, love from Belize angels. The only thing missing down here is you two! –Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment